Skip to main content

Union of Orthodox Rabbis Building Bought and Emptied –– Artifacts Remain




      Wednesday afternoon, a childhood friend of mine –– whose family has been at their apartment on East Broadway since 1956 –– got in touch with me about what sounded like people clearing out the buildings next to his at 237 and 235 East Broadway (Sharis Adath Israel and the former home of the Union of Orthodox Rabbis respectively). When I arrived on the scene that same afternoon, the doors to 235 East Broadway were being shut and two Junklugger trucks were just pulling away from the curb, stacked with what looked like large amounts of furniture. East Broadway was littered with papers that had blown off the back of these trucks, and as I started to pick them up I saw that many of these documents represented records of the Union of Orthodox Rabbis, correspondence in Hebrew and Yiddish, newspaper clippings, pages from religious books, all of which dating back decades. I called Junkluggers and asked if they would be able to intercept any of these documents before they were inevitably trashed, and was told nothing could be done, despite having the license plates of the trucks and calling only minutes after they had left.
      After standing on East Broadway for a few moments, two Orthodox Jewish men walked up the block and began trying to peer into the now clearly vacant building, its windows thrown wide open. I asked if they knew anything about what was going on and was told that the building had sold, "at a good price too." While hailing from Brooklyn, they had heard the news through friends and turned up looking for salvageable books. I pointed them in the direction of the scraps of paper which lined the block and showed them the items I had found.
      Yesterday, I decided to go back to 235 East Broadway after finding myself in the neighborhood with some time to kill. When I turned the corner, I saw three people letting themselves into the building. One of them stood outside the open door while the other two walked to the second floor –– I chatted him up and asked if they were the ones who had purchased the building. While initially hesitant to confirm that the building had sold, he said that they worked for the new owners and were a part of its "public management". I started talking about the history of the building, how Agudath Harabonim (the Hebrew name for the Union of Orthodox Rabbis) is the oldest organization of Orthodox rabbis in the country, and had been established at this site in 1902. (I found out later that it had been led by renowned Orthodox rabbis Moshe Feinstein as well as Eliezer Silver –– a relative of Sheldon Silver?) I asked if I could be let in to take a few pictures, and after saying no a few times, he said if I could take them in two minutes I could do it.


      I rushed inside and took as many photos as I could before being led out by the other two  –– they asked me a few questions about my interest in the building, while I tried to assure them I was only invested in saving what items of cultural significance had been left behind. Notably, I saw what could possibly be a yahrtzeit wall towards the back of the building (a memorial plaque which marks the day in the Jewish calendar that others have passed); however, I cannot confirm that as I do not read Hebrew. I left my contact information with the individuals who let me into 235 East Broadway, and urged them repeatedly to allow me to coordinate the retrieval of items from the space.


      I have reached out to a few people who know better than me how one would go about saving any of these artifacts, and am being pointed in the right direction. However, I have no way of knowing where any of these efforts will lead. If you have any information or ideas, please reach out!
   



Comments

  1. here's the deed information with more details on the purchaser - E8 NYC Holdings https://a836-acris.nyc.gov/DS/DocumentSearch/DocumentImageView?doc_id=2019041200971001
    hoping it might help you get in touch with the actual owners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loan Opportunity Offered By Mr, Benjamin That Save My Family From Financial Bondage {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com}

    Hello Everyone, I am Putri Adiratnaa single mom from Jakarta, I would like to share this great testimony on how I got a loan from Mr, Benjamin, when we were driven out of our home when I couldn't pay my bills anymore, After being scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union I visited. My children were taken by the foster care, I was all alone in the street. The day i shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first I told her that I am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that I will receive my loan from them. On a second thought, due to my homelessness I had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me I received a loan of $80,000.00 from Mr, Benjamin. I'm happy I took the risk and applied for the loan. My kids have been given back to me and now I own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to Le_Meridian Funding Service and for the help of Mr, Benjamin for giving me a meaning to life when i had lost all hope. If you currently seeking for a loan assistance, you can contact them via: {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com} Or WhatsApp +1-989-394-3740

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NYCHA's "NextGen Neighborhood" Towers & the Fate of the "White House"

      In a previous post  I discussed the city's plan to demolish the LaGuardia Bathhouse building, one of the oldest public baths in NYC, an attempt in-part to save face in the wake of the recently unveiled plans to raise the East River Park. I anticipate similar news for the "White House", the former Rivington Street Public Baths, which sits squatly in the middle of the Baruch Houses, maybe a 15 minute walk from the LaGuardia Bathhouse building.        A short history: At 118 years old, the Baruch Bathhouse building is not only the oldest public bathhouse in the city, but also the first of its kind to be opened in New York. It's namesake, Dr. Simon Baruch, was an Eastern European Jew who moved to South Carolina in 1855 (at 15 years old) to live with, and work for, a wealthy German-Jewish family. After receiving his medical degree in 1862, Baruch served as a surgeon in the f*cking Confederate army (even treating soldiers for weeks after the defeat at Gettys

Former "Mayor of James Street" and Gangster-turned-Undertaker, 'Roxie' Vanella's Funeral Chapel Sells For $7.8M

          If you end up down on Madison and Saint James, near the base of the Brooklyn Bridge, you've stepped into the area of the Lower East Side formerly known as the Fourth Ward. With Five Points just to its west, the Fourth Ward composed part of the East River shoreline and is generally folded in with the old Corlear's Hook neighborhood (also known as the "Hook", where once almost one hundred brothels were located and the term "hooker" was coined). This area of Lower Manhattan, around the time of Robert "Roxie" Vanella's birth in 1883, was largely occupied by ship-builders, dockyards, and the assorted tenement. The triangular block that Vanella's Funeral Chapel sits on also houses the former St. James School, noted as the only site of Alfred E. Smith's formal education (who was only ten years Vanella's senior), and neighbors the St. James Church, the second oldest Roman Catholic building in NYC and the home of the Ancien